what is slugging?
slugging involves applying a thin layer of occlusive substance (something like b-balm), typically petroleum jelly or a petrolatum-based product, onto your skin as the final step of your evening skincare routine. this occlusive layer acts as a protective seal, locking in moisture and preventing transepidermal water loss (TEWL). the term "slug" refers to the shiny appearance the skin takes on after the application, similar to the trail left by a slug.
1. intense hydration:
one of the primary benefits of slugging is its ability to provide intense hydration to the skin. by forming a barrier on the skin's surface, occlusives like petrolatum prevent water loss, allowing your skin to retain moisture throughout the night. this helps combat dryness and dehydration, leaving your skin soft, supple, and plump.
2. improved skin barrier function:
slugging can play a vital role in enhancing the skin's natural barrier function. when your skin's barrier is compromised, it becomes more susceptible to environmental stressors, pollutants, and irritants. by creating a protective shield, slugging helps strengthen the skin's barrier, reducing moisture loss and providing a defense against external aggressors. this, in turn, promotes healthier and more resilient skin.
3. soothing and calming effects:
an occlusive layer helps soothe irritation, reduce redness, and alleviate discomfort. the gentle and nourishing properties of products intended for slugging create a nurturing environment for your skin to heal and regenerate overnight.
4. enhanced product absorption:
applying an occlusive slugging layer can also enhance the absorption of other skincare products in your routine. by sealing in the active ingredients, slugging allows them to penetrate deeper into the skin, maximizing their effectiveness. this is particularly beneficial for products like serums or creams that contain antioxidants, vitamins, or other beneficial compounds.
tips for slugging success:
to make the most of your slugging experience, keep the following tips in mind:
1. cleanse your face thoroughly before slugging to remove any dirt or makeup (give b-wash a try).
2. apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly or an occlusive of your choice (our b-balm is an incredible lightweight option!)
3. focus on slugging during your evening skincare routine to allow the occlusive to work its magic overnight.
4. experiment with the frequency of slugging based on your skin's needs. some may benefit from nightly slugging, while others might prefer it a few times a week.
slugging has emerged as a simple yet effective addition to skincare routines, offering multiple benefits to those seeking hydrated, healthy skin. by forming a protective barrier, slugging helps lock in moisture, improve the skin's barrier function, soothe irritations, and enhance product absorption.